Among all the automation platforms out there, Samsung SmartThings is among the most popular ones. Ever since it was launched back in 2013, SmartThings has been turning heads in the smart home industry.
One of its biggest inventions to date is the SmartThings hub. Not only is this smart hub one of the most affordable you’ll find in the market today but also, its functionality is up there with the best.
The SmartThings hub has become a worthy competitor to other established smart hubs. These smart hubs include Amazon’s Echo, Google Home Mini, and Google Nest Mini.
However, like any other device in the smart home industry, the Samsung SmartThings hub has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of the Samsung SmartThings hub
- Variety of compatible devices – As a homeowner, you want the freedom to buy any smart device you want without worrying about compatibility. When it comes to compatibility, the SmartThings hub is unmatched in the smart home industry. This is because it works seamlessly with many other devices, meaning that you’re never limited on what to buy as a homeowner. The integration of SmartThings with IFTTT ensures even more compatibility. Any smart device doesn’t need to be SmartThings branded to connect to this smart hub.
- Integrates well with both Alexa and Google Assistant – The SmartThings smart hub is among the few devices out there that work with more than one digital voice assistant. SmartThings allows its users to ingrate either Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant for better control. With either of these, you can give voice commands to the SmartThings hub and have the connected devices respond accordingly.
- Automation and routines – There is nothing that adds more to a homeowner’s convenience and comfort than efficient automation and routines. Since this hub accommodates both, it means that you can set up combinations and have your devices blend into your daily schedule. With the SmartThings hub, you can create as many automation and routines as you’d like. For example, you can have automation that turns on the lights, powers the coffee machine, and plays your favorite song in the morning while you get ready for work.
- Enhanced alarm monitoring – Most smart hubs only work by monitoring the alarm systems and sending homeowners real-time alerts in case of any intruders. On the other hand, the SmartThings hub does this and beyond. This is because SmartThings has partnered with Scout to provide 24/7 alarm system monitoring to its users. Through this partnership, Scout will use your motion sensors to detect any intrusion, send real-time alerts to your phone, and also call the authorities on your behalf. This means that even if you’re away from home, you’re assured that your home and property are safe.
- Room for customization – By connecting your SmartThings hub to the IFTTT connector, you can have it do more than you’d think. With this connection, you can customize the functions of your smart devices anyhow you like. For example, you can have your smart lights change color to match the weather outside.
Disadvantages of the Samsung SmartThings hub
- The initial setup process is a bit complex – Many homeowners welcome the idea of the SmartThings hub working seamlessly with so many smart devices. However, with this diverse compatibility comes a price that homeowners have to pay. Since most of these compatible devices are not SmartThings-branded, they don’t connect with the hub directly. You might end up needing a bridge to connect some of the devices with the hub. This comes with some research and a lot of time spent going through the manuals. For some homeowners, this whole process gets so complex that they end up hiring a technician.
- Posses a security and privacy threat – Since the start, this hub has shown vulnerability when it comes to the data security and privacy of its users. Over the years, there have been reported several incidences of data breaches via the Samsung SmartThings hub. This is because the smart hub connects to other smart devices via wireless protocols such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, and Bluetooth. For this reason, there is a need for constant communication between the servers and the smart devices. Unfortunately, this makes the whole system vulnerable to data breaches. When these data breaches succeed, the hackers gain control of your smart devices and your personal data.
If you’re looking for an affordable smart hub to aid with your home automation, the Samsung SmartThings hub is a great choice. With this hub, you’re guaranteed the freedom to connect as many devices as you want without worrying about compatibility.